Tuesday, November 21, 2006

SuperMegaFantasticHappyFunTime ExtremeBlowoutDoublePost [New York Trip]

This is more of a personal post than anything else, so I'll understand if you don't care to read it. ^The other half of this dual post is above ^

I was in New York for this past weekend, and I bring to you some photographs and observations from the trip. First, I'm going to let off some steam at AD Majors @ UofI as a whole, as I was thrown in an incubator with them all weekend. I made about 5 friends out of the 100, and I'm fine with that, as I'm convinced that those 5 made up the entire cool population of the trip. My Gripes:

For the most part, AD Majors at UofI are one of two things.*
*please note that there are some exceptions, if I know you, chances are you are an exception.*

>Sorostitutes: Ever wonder what major idiot sorority girls choose? It's certainly
not engineering. I've never seen so much of the same shade of blonde as I have in my advertising classes.
>Assholes: The few males in the field it seems, frat or not, are just plain assholes. Awkward as shit, yet assholes nonetheless. Maybe they put on the attitude in some peacock way of attracting sorostitute tail. Sorority Girls and Assholes, that’s the base makeup of my major. I like my chances.

There are Two approaches said AD Majors have to their future.

>The Undecided: This mainly applies to the aforementioned "So
rostitutes." They have no idea what they actually want to do in the field. These are juniors and seniors with no knowledge of where they're gonna be in less than a year or two. I especially enjoy those who feel that they want to be a creative, with no sense of humor, writing or art talent to back them up. "Hmmmm, well, I was like, thinking of being an art director maybe...." Good luck. I recommend something low cut with your push-upiest of bras. You may just be able to dupe someone in to thinking you have talent.
>The Shark: This person views every single person in the field as competit
ion. This person feels that there can be no real friends in this business, as one day everyone around you may come to usurp their glorious throne. Ok hotshot, have fun building future enemies instead of friends. We'll see how well that works in the long run.

Now, my comments on the Big Apple, the Big Easy, the City that Never Sleeps:


New York is Chicago Times Ten
I hate to say it, but it really is a much more intense Chicago. T
he buildings are bigger, there are way more tourists, later nights, the city is dirtier, but all in all, I feel safer in New York than in downtown Chicago.

They Aren't as Rude as You'd Think

New York has a stigma of being filled with real exceptionally rude people. This didn't ring true for me though. People actually pointed us in the right direction, helped us out and such. There was a slight amount of stiff-arming, but that’s only when it got really crowded. I hate looking like a tourist, so I tried to blend in, but when I got lost, they helped out. Props New Yorkers.

Seeing things on TV up close and in person is rea
lly a mindfuck.
This is mainly because TV portrays them incredibly inaccurately. We were at Rockefeller Center, inside NBC studios, and an assortment of other places which look differently than they do on TV. Rockefeller is actually fairly small,
NBC is poorly lit, and MTV does not look nearly as cool as they make it on TRL.

Anything You Want to Do There Requires Weeks and Weeks of Notice
Shows, tapings, tours, etc. Plan ahead if you ever go. It may sound sucky that you have to map out an entire vacation, but trust me; it'd be for the best.

Bums Are Less Abrasive:

They mostly keep to themselves on the steps of churches. I did see one kneeling down and urinating at passersby, but that’s the extent of the bum outburst. There were one
or two people sitting with the clever signs like "Why lie? It's for beer!" Instead of the direct bums, you see lots of street performers. Musicians, Mimes, Artists, Small Vendors, etc. It’s a much better system when you earn your money, rather than beg. Subways are filled with an equal number of performers as visible rodents (both make the New York experience more lively).


New York's Pizza IS NOT Better Than Chicago's.

I don't care what the people from NY
C have to say, their pizza is no better. Sure they have all sorts of crazy toppings, but there's a place at UofI (Antonio’s) that makes pizza exactly the same way. Having first been exposed to Antonio’s, I don't find New York clever nor original (even if Antonio transplanted this type of Za from there to here) Not to mention we got the DEEP DISH! I'll take big and thick over long and thin any day, am I right ladies?

People Don't Like Talking To Strangers.
This makes sense from my stereotype of New York, but I was a little taken aback when, waiting for my flight to Chicago, people were the same way. What a
n individualistic society we live in, when people would rather sit in silence, or listen to the same damn songs for an hour instead of talking to another human being. Exchanging verbal contact, sharing and learning from someone else, was a core human value. I would have really thought this would be more popular, as it gives a chance for people to talk about themselves and share their tired old stories to someone new and different who will appreciate them. Maybe if I had some candy they'd wanna talk.

Oh, and guess what. I encountered one of The Most Distressing Things on the Face of the Earth...EVER! Yup, as I'm getting on a plane, in the aisle seat, sure enough, a man without the use of his legs. Worse yet is I had the window seat. He ended up crawling over to the window so that I wouldn't have to climb over him. Then some couple came and asked him to trade seats with one of them so they could sit together! AH!!!! I immediately volunteered myself for the job, and sat between two very pleasant people on the ride home. Social Disaster Averted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home